More often than not, there are some questions that writers and managers ask themselves....
- Am I writing content that does not require technical writing expertise?
- Am I documenting content that must be written by an SME?
- Do I need to deliver content for a product that does not have a writer budget?
VMware analyzed these scenarios and identified the need to:
- Leverage the extensive SME knowledge
- Overcome limitations of the traditional authoring methodology
The Self-Help Program enables SMEs to author their own content using a simplified, lightweight, web-based editor that uses the DITA model. SMEs can now author content that is better written by them, such as the API guide. Also, projects with no available writer resources can still publish customer-facing documents to the approved corporate channels.